Monday 20 October 2014

Oct 12 2014 - Thanksgiving

Hey this was the last zone meeting in Sibu

Hello Everyone!
Just saw on LDS Newsroom the statistics for meet the mormons (a movie playing in some theatres this week) haha, looked pretty cool.
I'm downloading General Conference talks right now, so that we can share them with members, and to have them for study! General conference was so incredible. (It's still super cool to be able to watch it in 2 languages)
I like pretty much all the talks haha, but a few of my thoughts on the talks in general, the General Authorities made a definite emphasis on Priesthood Power, Organization, and how this is God's Church. It seemed to me that General conference was almost stern, trying to correct some of the passiveness that has snuck into the church.  I found that the last session was very strong and bold, as well as priesthood session.
I enjoyed how the apostles were very bold this conference in declaring how they are apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ.
My favourite talk however, was addressed to the non-members of the world, by David A Bednar, and although the main focus was investigators, the talk was well written to the members. The analogy of his sons was incredible, and I encourage anyone and everyone to read and study that talk.
His notes on our individual responsibility:
"Devoted disciples of Jesus Christ always have been and always will be valiant missionaries. A missionary is a follower of Christ who testifies of Him as the Redeemer and proclaims the truths of His gospel."

"88,000 full-time missionaries laboring in over 150 sovereign states around the world. These remarkable men and women help the members of our Church fulfill the divinely appointed and individual responsibility each of us has to proclaim the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ (see D&C 68:1)."
and his boldness in declaring the gospel:
"Absolute truth exists in a world that increasingly disdains and dismisses absolutes. In a future day, “every knee [shall] bow” and “every tongue [shall] confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:10–11). Jesus the Christ absolutely is the Only Begotten Son of the Eternal Father. As members of His Church, we witness He lives and His Church has been restored in its fulness in these latter days."

"As one of the Lord’s Apostles, and with all of the energy of my soul, I bear witness of His divinity and reality. And I invite you to “come and see” (John 1:39), in the sacred name of the Lord Jesus Christ, amen."

(I'd also like if mom could put the conference video on my FB with the caption: "Why I'm serving a mission")

Letter that he sent to the family for Thanksgiving

Well for thanksgiving (I hope I'm not too late, but if I am I guess this is just for you!) I've been thinking about family a lot, this last weekend I had the opportunity to watch the leaders of the LDS church give counsel and advice, and all the talks (as usual) are centered on the family and happiness.
The home can truly be heaven on Earth, and when a family is gathered together, we come together emotionally. Sometimes we gather, and we are still thousands of miles apart, but we put our best foot forward to be with our family.
If there is one thing I've learned as I've been learning and serving in Malaysia, it is that the family is the basis of everything. A family gives a home, where all members of the family can come into, and take refuge from the outside world, and grow together.
I miss the family, but I know, as I've sacrificed two years away from my family, I've helped others have their families for eternity, and I know that I have the chance to be with mine for forever.  I'm glad for the home I was brought up in, the relationship of my parents, and what they taught me has taken me to great places, and supported me as an individual. I hope that I will be able to come home and follow their example, and be an incredible, dedicated father later in life. I know that my parents have given everything they can to their kids, and I hope that I will one day be able to make my home, a heaven on Earth.
I miss you all, and look forward to the next thanksgiving, where I will be able to meet, eat, and play football together with every one.
With love,
Elder Brent Bester

No comments:

Post a Comment